Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Colourful History


There are many beautiful vintage items which help to make a house a real home - and there are a handful of vintage items which provide each room in that home with its centre piece or crowning glory.

For the bedroom, one of those special items must surely be the patchwork quilt. What was once made out of necessity and sheer practicality has now become a very collectable item. The many fabrics were often salvaged from favourite items of clothing or soft furnishings which were no longer serviceable. A patchwork quilt was also a very good way to preserve and enjoy fabrics which carried a special meaning or fond memories.

This absolutely stunning patchwork quilt is an exceptional find; in near perfect condition, it is made from many varied and beautiful fabrics. The quilt is entirely handsewn and dates from the late 1930s to the early 1940s. Even the soft cotton/linen backing and forest green cotton edging is hand stitched. Every single hexagon is handsewn and great thought has been given to the placement of the many different fabrics.

There is an astounding variety of fabrics in this quilt; velvets, needlecords, crepes, cottons, chintzes, satins, silks and slub-silks, brocades and damasks - and more! There are some very pretty Sanderson and Bernard Wardle fabrics in the form of roses and rosebuds. There are also several cottons most typically used for the pretty eiderdowns of that era, and delightful polka dot, gingham, floral and jacquard patterns. Such an amazing array of gorgeous fabrics which complement each other perfectly. This beautiful quilt is one of today's many new additions to the Vintage Home website which also includes some rather pretty French fabric boxes; this one is lined with a beautiful old wallpaper...

...this one is covered in peonies and pinks...

...and this one dates to the 1920s.

There will be more vintage treasures coming soon - in the meantime, here's a taster of the forthcoming range of Vintage Home handmade goods, which incorporates an exciting and beautiful array of vintage textiles and trims.

Have a wonderful week!

17 comments:

  1. That quilt is stunning Clare! I love patchworks and the history attached to them. Each section having its own little story. Beautiful finds as always
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love quilting but I'm just a beginner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a patchwork quilt is a lot of work! It is lovely!
    Is this your own bedroom?
    Kind regards, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I have just found your blog and I love it. I would happily lose a limb for that quilt - down with January and the skintness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare - what a lovely quilt - always thinking of you when I am on the PC - 'cos of my lovely mouse mat. When I am unpacked (if I ever actually move) I will photograph the quilt my Nana made for me in blues - she used lots of fabrics I knew and had been mine and she hand sewed all the hexagons. She did the whole top and it needs backing now and the edges turning under but I have never finished it because its a large single. However when I unearthed it to pack I vowed it would be a definite project. I also made one myself - a basic machined squares in Laura Ashley plums and creams using Kate and Nutmeg. That only needs two more rows along two sides to make it a kng size and its ready to back but they have both been packed together so they emerge as two easy projects to finish............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clare, oh if only we had the time nowadays to sit and stitch something so beautiful, what a joy that would be. Your website items look quite yummy too, especially the handmades, can't wait to see more of them!
    best wishes,
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt is gorgeous.I love patchwork.
    Have a nice day , Regina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely patchwork quilt, Clare. I made one about 30 years ago, all handsewn hexagons and materials which had special meaning etc. Sadly, I sold it to an antique shop in about 1978. She paid me £40 for it which was a lot of money then. I wish I'd kept it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely gorgeous quilt, Clare! I am off to visit the shop! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that quilt. Gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see all the goodies you have in store:)
    Cheers
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  11. All so very beautiful! Thanks for sharing it..Sal xxx;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clare everthing is beautiful! You are so right about the quilt. You rarely see such an example in such beautiful condition.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful patchwork quilt Clare, sometimes you must feel the odd twinge to hang on to these lovely finds, if even for a short while, they are all so lovely, your taste is very elegant and all your pieces are a joy to look at..
    now on to the shop website for a gander.
    love Kath x:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clare, you always have the most charming things to sell. The quilt is very special!

    xo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Clare,

    What a beautiful quilt! I love patchwork, and the thought of women spending hours upon hours sticthing those teeny tiny stitches by hand.

    I had a peek into your shop, and everything is absolutely the BEST as usual. You have such gorgeous treasures, always.
    xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just gorgeous stuff! One of these days I am going to make a quilt like that!!!

    ReplyDelete