Friday, September 14, 2007

A Country Lane...


I commented recently to a friend, that sometimes, in the midst of a busy or stressful day, I forget exactly what I have right here on my doorstep. I only have to step out of my gate into the lane and there in front of me stretches miles of fields and countryside. So I thought I would share my recent country walk with you...

On this particular warm and sunny September day, I set off to collect blackberries. Our cottage is almost at the end of the lane, and once out of the gate, after walking little more than a few hundred feet, the lane merges into a grassy track bordered by abundant hedgerows which are filled with hips, haws, elderberries and blackberries.

Hips are the fruit of the wild rose and have a very high level of vitamin C. During the second world war and a time of rationing, children collected sackloads of hips which were made into 'Rosehip Syrup', a valuable vitamin C supplement for the war years. To make rose hip tea, boil the hips for a couple of minutes, allowing them to split open, then drain and serve. You will have a lovely pale pink tea!

The hawthorn tree is a very long-lived tree, living for 250 years or more and its fruit provides good food for immigrating birds such as the redwing and fieldfare.

The wildlife have a rich source of food in the autumn hedgerows, but there's always plenty to go round - for humans too! Elderflower presse is a very refreshing drink - or perhaps elderberry wine would be your preferred tipple!

Of all the wild fruits growing in the English countryside, the blackberry has to be my favourite and our lane and surrounding fields are full of blackberry bushes! At this time of year we see many families trooping past our cottage heading off to gather the fruit. Some are rather more keen than others and carry stepladders and huge cool boxes!! We occasionally joke to them that they need a permit to pick 'our' blackberries!!


Within a few minutes of leaving the cottage, I reached the bridge, and stopped to look down at the steadily flowing water, a small tributory of the River Ock. At this point, I had the choice of turning right, climbing the stile and walking through the field which runs parallel with the water. Or turning left, and walking through fields which eventually take me out to the back of the village and across further fields. By continuing straight on, I could walk for a few miles with the fields stretched out either side of me and the hedgerows full of wildlife, until I reached the nearest village, arriving close to their village pub - how convenient! The pub is called The Chequers, a common name for English inns. The name is related to the chequers board but not for the obvious reason - its origin is in an ancient drink once served in inns, which was made from the fruit of the Wild Service Tree, or as it is also known, the Chequers Tree - its square-shaped bark resembles the markings on a chequerboard. This tree is rare these days, usually found at sites of ancient woodland in parts of Southern England and Wales.

I stopped to say hello to two four-legged bathers and decided to take the right turning by the river and stepped over the stile into the field. Here, the blackberry bushes are particularly abundant and I gathered as many blackberries as my basket would hold. I spent some time listening to the birdsong and enjoying the scenery. Wherever I looked, I could see only countryside and I revelled in the fact that not a single house or manmade structure was visible. Soon it was time to return to the cottage so I headed back home for an afternoon of baking...

This is the result - an apple and blackberry pie - but it wasn't me who spent the afternoon baking - this was made by my husband! (Okay, so it's a little bit dark around the edges - was I complaining?! Of course not!)

It tasted as delicious as it looks - so I will be heading out again soon for more blackberries - I rather fancy a crumble this time!

32 comments:

  1. Ooh I enjoyed that beautiful walk-I wish I had that view when I left my house! And the pie looked scrumptious too-have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely walk. My idea of bliss and to come home to homemade pie...it doesn't get much better:-)
    Take care,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very lovely and enjoyable stroll you have right at your doorstep, Claire! And your hubby's pie... mmmmm! My hubby loves baking apple pies (he uses lard in his crust... fattening, but it tastes soooo yummy). We sell a LOT of rosehip jelly at our shop. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Mr Vintage Home that pie looks scrummy, Claire I want to come on that walk with you, it looks like a little bit of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us along with you on your wonderful stroll through your countryside. I used to pick wild blackberries when I was young and also when my daughter was young. It is hard to find them growing wild anymore in this area -- so much new development -- or I don't know where to look. How wonderful to remember the simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk. My lab Benny would have loved to have joined your friends bathing in the river:-}and the pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you obviously live in heaven! That is so beautiful! The pie looks delicious, too!

    Thanks for the tour,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Clare,
    Oh I loved the local tour. It really is beautiful in your 'hood' ha!
    That tart looked too tempting and I can't seem to get the sight of it out of my head... not good when you're cutting down on such fanciful foods :-)
    Take care lve Debra in NZ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely walk and how lucky to have such an abundance of fruit on your doorstep.

    I love crumble...when will it be ready?

    Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pie looked delicious! What a lovely walk you took us on. I might borrow this idea for a future blog!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Clare,
    Thank you for the picturesque tour!
    (I wanted to pick some blackberries this afternoon, but it is beginning to cloud over.....it would have been me doing the baking of the crumble though!!! Maybe Mike could give Dave some pointers!! ;-))

    So do you drink rose hip tea often??!!

    Niki xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Clare

    What a lovely walk. That's not the 'river' that kept you flooded in a few weeks ago is it?

    Mike, we would have made the journey to see you if we'd known about the pie early enough!!!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You hubby seems to be a great baker. It sure looked delicious. And your view from the house is great. Wish I lived out in the country, but I live in a small village and that's better than town - for me! Hope you have a great week.
    Love Elzie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Clare, when I came home from my trip I found your message that my name was drawn our of your husbands hat and that I won the box with those lovely vintage goods!!!
    I don't know what to say - I will send you an e-mail with my adress soon because now I am very curious!
    Thank you very,very much!

    You are absolutely right, we often forget all the nice things we are surrounded with.
    The blackberry-tart looks absolutely delicious! My husband loves to cook, but baking is not one of his hobbies.
    Again thank you very much, kind regards, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Clare,

    I loved doing your walk, absolutely beautiful! The blackberries are wonderful this year aren't they and I wish my husband would take up baking!

    Love

    Jane
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your country lane walk. I felt as if I was right with you.
    I love looking at the beauty in my own back yard too. You have a lovely area to walk and be with nature.
    My husband likes to eat the wild blackberries when we hike.
    I like pie better!
    Thanks again for sharing your walk.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky you are to be surrounded by such beautiful countryside and all those berries. Lucky girl too who has a husband who will bake! Crumble is my favourite pudding of all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Clare,
    Sumptuous Settings Clare!! OH, how wonderful to have this heaven in front of your doorstep. It is like you say, you get so used to it that you almost forget that it is there..I also like to take a longer walk and it is always amazing what you can find of fruits, trees and animals. Fun to hear about the Chequers Tree and the rosehips. I didn`t knew all that. I really wish i could make those jummy looking pies!! I am drooling, hehe..It is not good for my figure i keep saying to myself, hehe..I don`t even own a cake tin for pie.
    Wonderful to read and looking at your lovely pictures Clare! You are so living my dream :)Aina

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blackberry-tart-looks absolutely
    delicious.Your husband is wonderful.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not fair...I'm drooling. You live in God's country. Beautiful neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This time of year is just perfect for long country walks, especially when you've got a gorgeous pie to come home to...! I made an apple crumble last night with apples from our garden - delicious! Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    Ki mx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Clare, it is me again :)
    Yes, i was so motivated to go and buy a cake tin and i really want to make this blueberrie pie. Is it possible for me to ask you if yoi could be so kind sending me an e-mail with the recipe? I would be really really happy! :) Yes, i want to surprise my hubby :)
    Have a good night Clare and have a great day tomorrow, Aina (",)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely walk that was, I am off now for a cup of tea.
    Racheal x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, thank you so much Clare, i really appreciate it!! I am looking forward to receive the recipes :) Enjoy your evening, Aina

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful countryside...lovely photos. You must have had a really interesting and productive walk. Noreen and Brian are making hawthorn wine. Blackbery pie looks delicious.
    Margaret and Noreen at THY

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was lovely, I felt I was on the walk with you. Looks like you were lucky with the blackberries. Last year I went blackberry picking my Birthday weekend while at my parents and the hedgerows were bursting with them. This year there were very few that were ripe. I love it at this time of year though when the hedgerows are full of all the wonderful colours of all the various berries.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Clare
    How stunning! I am so envious of all those berries you have growing right where you live! Your country side sounds lovely-so idyllic and peaceful. Really a small part of paradise! How wonderful to pick berries and make your own (excuse me-have hubby make your own homemade pie!) If I ever come to England I am going to come and visit you and you can take me on that tour!!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is is possible to post a piece of pie?? Lovely walk, lucky you having that on your doorstep!

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a glorious walk and what a lovely pie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How beautiful... Just found your website from Daisy Cottage, and, as someone who has just left the lovely Somerset countryside to move to a city, you have made me very jealous. Having said that, the city is Oxford (we're *almost* neighbours!) so could be worse - but still... it's not the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Forgot to add, wonderful to find your great site!

    ReplyDelete
  32. ohmygosh...I want to come visit your countryside. I can only dream of such a place living in this overcrowded city...I'm just not cut out for this (think I'll leave the hubby & run away) :)
    Thanks for sharing your walk.

    ReplyDelete