Friday, November 24, 2006

Holiday Memories


Niki had a nice idea with her recent post about memories, so here are mine. Just a couple of years ago we had a wonderful holiday in New England. We stayed in Southern Vermont, in the town of Bennington (where the English were defeated by General Stark!!!) at a beautiful colonial clapboard house - complete with verandah which had a resident robin family (see photo).




Most of us have regular holidays to far flung places, but of all the countries we've visited this was the hardest place to leave. The people were wonderful, the scenery was breathtaking, the streets were clean and we felt so much at home there.


We crammed a lot into our 10 days - which felt like 10 weeks, we did so much! We met up with some friends from Pennsylvania, we visited the most enormous antiques fair at Brimfield MA, and experienced an evening at a 'traditional English pub' in upstate NY. We visited all the small towns we could and drove the 5 miles to the top of Mount Equinox. We delighted in seeking out the old covered bridges (who didn't shed a tear over 'The Bridges of Madison County' - both book and film!) We revelled in the beautiful old houses and the charming Dutch barns throughout MA.





When we came home we mused on the idea of living there. It's something we still talk about and as I type this I feel a really overwhelming sense of longing. Since our return, life has intervened in our plans - someone once said 'life is what happens when you're busy making plans'. How true. Still, we may yet return, be it for a holiday or to live there. Hope you enjoy the photos!



7 comments:

  1. Hi Clare,
    Your photos are stunning. I can see why you fell in love with the area. I have always wanted to visit the huge Brimfield Antiques Fair!! (Having heard about it in the 'Shabby Chic' books.) Now I know that you have been, I want to hear ALL about it!! - email me!! (Please!)
    Niki.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare
    Fabulous photos as always. I hope your suitcases will be big enough to fit in Niki and me when you go again!
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your Christmas memories and New England does look like a pretty place from all the pictures I`ve seen of it.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, your first photo immidiately reminded me of 'The Bridges of Madison County', I love that film! What a pity, it's too far away from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just what you mean, such a beautiful part of the world and lovely people. You must go back for another holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With thoughts of the "Bridges of Madison County"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! That movie! I was watching it and so entranced...when the phone rang at my house I jumped right out of my skin as if I had been caught in the affair taking place on screen!

    ReplyDelete